*cough*sniffle*

29. ledna 2009
Wow, so my computer has changed my date into Czech. Cool! I have officially survived my first week at Hampson school in Mlada Boleslav. It was actually quite easy and fun. On Sunday I caught a little cold that has stayed with me all week. Holly and I have been downing vitamin drinks, but I still got a little worse each day. Hopefully I’ll be better by this weekend, cuz I have to do a 4 hour recording of vocabulary on Saturday and I’m planning to go to Prague by myself on Sunday. Holly leaves to Ptyrov tomorrow, so I’ve gotta do something with myself over the weekend. I have an easy week next week as well. I only have to work for 3 days.
This week I have a 3day weekend.
This week I taught students from ages 10+. I was surprised at how well they could all speak English. The 13 year old students were great, I had real conversations with them, it was almost like speaking to American kids. Some taught me about the Czech school system, because it’s quite different from the US or Japan. They had a sense of humor and could joke as well. Their accents were good as well, very European. I wonder if I could pick up that accent?.... The adults were fun too; some not as well spoken as the kids, but still good enough to have a conversation with. It’s totally different from teaching in Japan. I’m sure I’ll get to learn a lot of new things from the students here. I just need to come up with the right topics and questions.
Nothing exciting has happened this week. Just one funny thing. Since I was sick I was looking for some cough drops or something packed with vitamins. I found something, all written in German, Czech, and Slovak, but I could see that it had vitamins on it. They were pretty tasty, and chewy, so Holly and I were pounding them back. Well it turns out they weren’t what we thought…they’re basically sugar pills that athletes take right before they need a burst of energy… Ahh, the joys of language barriers! Needless to say, we stopped eating the sugar pills once we found out.
Oh! I did have my first Czech lesson on „uterý“ Tuesday. It was fun, I had already learned to count to ten, so I learned 11-20, the days of the week and some grammar „I am, They are, I was, He was“ I have to memorize it by next week. I think I’m getting down the pronunciation…haha, some are soo hard!
For example: #4 is čtyři which is pronounced something like *sh tyr zhee* and Thursday- čtvrtek *sh tvr teck* Some of those sounds are so difficult to make, I just laugh and do the best I can.

Comments