January 13, 2009
I got to the airport 2 hours ahead, and got ready to stand in the ridiculously long line for British Airways. I’m so glad I had my magazine to read, cuz I was in the check in line for 1.5 hours! A man behind me got mad cuz we’d been waiting so long. I wasn’t worried tho, cuz there were plenty of people behind me in line. I dunno why, but the people at the ticket counter were moving slow as snails. When I finally got to the gate they were already boarding the plane. I was sitting next to a girl about my age she’s originally from Croatia, but now living in Germany. And what a small world, she’d been studying at Hawaii Pacific University for the winter semester and was on her way back to Germany.
The layover in London was uneventful.
As we were landing in Prague, the sun was setting and I could see the ground covered with snow. Customs was pretty much non-existent, I didn’t even have to fill out an immigration form or anything. Iva and Pavel were there waiting with a sign when I got out. Iva immediately gave me a huge hug and kiss on the cheek. She was so talkative and very nice on the drive to Mlada Boleslav. It took less than an hour by car. I wish it had been light out, so I could have seen the scenery. When we arrived at my new “flat” I was so surprised to see how big it is. Holly was the only teacher until I came, so I got to choose between 2 rooms. My room is bigger than mom and dads bedroom! There’s a full size kitchen, bathroom, toilet room, and entryway. No real living room, but who needs it when our bedrooms are so big. There are several “Anne Frank” closets, which either wont open are kinda creepy. Holly said our apartments were build during the communist era. She said you can tell by how big our windows are, compared to the size of the windows once Russia took over. We actually have 2 windows, about a foot away from the inner window is an outer window. Weird! We even have a cleaning lady who comes once a week! She cleans the floors, kitchen, bathroom, toilet room, tidies up our rooms, and takes out the trash!
Holly came home around 8:30 and we went out to eat in the shopping mall across from our house. It was soo cold! There is snow covering the ground. Every part of my body was frozen, EXCEPT for… my feet, cuz they were in my new UGG boots. Thanks Grandma! AND, I didn't even have socks on! Just my feet, in the boots, walking next to snow, and they were warm and toasty. There is a grocery store in the mall, and the café with the wireless internet is also there. The school is about a 5min walk up the street. I’ll start working on Friday, at the farm. I will spend 7 days at the farm! It sounds exhausting, cuz I’ll be working on and off all day from 8am to 10pm 7 days in a row! The one good thing is that I’ll have wireless internet to use when I’m at the farm. Holly will go to the farm the week after I get back. So, at least we’ll have 1 week together before I’m left to fend for myself. It will be nice when the new teacher comes, cuz then she and I can work the same shifts.



I got to the airport 2 hours ahead, and got ready to stand in the ridiculously long line for British Airways. I’m so glad I had my magazine to read, cuz I was in the check in line for 1.5 hours! A man behind me got mad cuz we’d been waiting so long. I wasn’t worried tho, cuz there were plenty of people behind me in line. I dunno why, but the people at the ticket counter were moving slow as snails. When I finally got to the gate they were already boarding the plane. I was sitting next to a girl about my age she’s originally from Croatia, but now living in Germany. And what a small world, she’d been studying at Hawaii Pacific University for the winter semester and was on her way back to Germany.
The layover in London was uneventful.
As we were landing in Prague, the sun was setting and I could see the ground covered with snow. Customs was pretty much non-existent, I didn’t even have to fill out an immigration form or anything. Iva and Pavel were there waiting with a sign when I got out. Iva immediately gave me a huge hug and kiss on the cheek. She was so talkative and very nice on the drive to Mlada Boleslav. It took less than an hour by car. I wish it had been light out, so I could have seen the scenery. When we arrived at my new “flat” I was so surprised to see how big it is. Holly was the only teacher until I came, so I got to choose between 2 rooms. My room is bigger than mom and dads bedroom! There’s a full size kitchen, bathroom, toilet room, and entryway. No real living room, but who needs it when our bedrooms are so big. There are several “Anne Frank” closets, which either wont open are kinda creepy. Holly said our apartments were build during the communist era. She said you can tell by how big our windows are, compared to the size of the windows once Russia took over. We actually have 2 windows, about a foot away from the inner window is an outer window. Weird! We even have a cleaning lady who comes once a week! She cleans the floors, kitchen, bathroom, toilet room, tidies up our rooms, and takes out the trash!
Holly came home around 8:30 and we went out to eat in the shopping mall across from our house. It was soo cold! There is snow covering the ground. Every part of my body was frozen, EXCEPT for… my feet, cuz they were in my new UGG boots. Thanks Grandma! AND, I didn't even have socks on! Just my feet, in the boots, walking next to snow, and they were warm and toasty. There is a grocery store in the mall, and the café with the wireless internet is also there. The school is about a 5min walk up the street. I’ll start working on Friday, at the farm. I will spend 7 days at the farm! It sounds exhausting, cuz I’ll be working on and off all day from 8am to 10pm 7 days in a row! The one good thing is that I’ll have wireless internet to use when I’m at the farm. Holly will go to the farm the week after I get back. So, at least we’ll have 1 week together before I’m left to fend for myself. It will be nice when the new teacher comes, cuz then she and I can work the same shifts.
Video of my new flat
Comments
It's 80freakin6 degrees here today... Seriously I know it's SoCal and all, but would it kill mother nature to give us some seasons?