Oh so very cold

So, I realize that I have been slacking on my blog updates. Nothing too exciting has happened. Usually once a day something will happen that I want to write about, but by the time I get home I’ve already forgotten what it was. Last week was quite nice and not so busy at work. I taught some kids classes as well as adults. I taught the kids some of my infamous Amity games, which they all loved. I think “spoons” is the favorite, along with rock-scissors-paper. I had some great conversations with the adults and got a full European history lesson and any question I could come up with was answered. I was never interested in history growing up, but now that I’m living in different places I find myself curious and wanting to learn. It’s so much better learning from a native than from a book.
On Feb 1st I went to Praha by myself. Everything went smoothly, getting there and getting back home. It was so cold though and snowing a bit. I had to go into many shops just to defrost. My fingers (in my leather gloves) went numb if they weren’t in my pockets. I did the Lonely Planet suggest walking tour and saw the National Museum and St. Wencelas Square. I also found my way to the famous Church of St. Nicholas. I considered going in, but I figured I might as well wait till the family comes to visit (it isn’t free!). I also tried going to the Jewish area, but just getting into the area costs $15! So, I’ll go with the family there as well! Too bad my American dollars have run out, so I can't justify spending as much. Now, I’ll be living off my Czech salary, which means touristy things are too freaking expensive. While waiting for my bus I decided to splurge on Starbucks. First and most likely last time! I put it on the credit card (heehee) so really, it was only about $4.50. My usually mochas are about US $2.50.
This week I’m back in Ptyrov teaching a group of 7 pre-intermediate level students. They are easy going and have adjusted really fast. Or maybe it’s me… since this is my 2nd course I know what to expect. I’m not nearly as tired as I was last time, which means that it was the jetlag that left me incapable of staying up past 10:30pm.

St. Wencelas Square

There are these hotdog stands 20 yards or so. I wonder if locals ever go to them, or if they're just there for the tourists
Message from one of my Czech students: 'Of course we eat Wenceslas sausage from stands... they are very yummy especially at 2 a.m.:) Much more than McDonald's at the same price. It's a little bit unhealthy and fatty but many times it "saved my life" :)'

The National Museum at the end of St. Wencelas Square


St. Nicholas Church

Comments

dtetera said…
Of course we eat Wenceslas sausage from stands... they are very yummy especially at 2 a.m.:) Much more than McDonald's at the same price. It's a little bit unhealthy and fatty but many times it "saved my life" :)