Easter Monday

Czechs have a really interesting way of celebrating Easter. Men/boys get branches from trees-8 of them actually, and weave them together to form a stick. Then, the guys go to the houses of female friends and whip them- to bring them health and beauty for the coming year. The females give the guys chocolate, decorated eggs, or shots of alcohol to get them to stop. If the guys are over the age of 15, they will usually get a shot. It’s kinda like trick-or-treating! (In my opinion, some man probably just wanted a good excuse to whip his wife without going to jail!) None of my students know the history of this custom.
While Holly and I were walking home from the bus station we had bad luck. Just as we were walking to our gate or friend Petr, who lives two houses down was coming out of his house. He dropped his stuff, grabbed his whip and ran for us. He was actually quite nice and didn’t hit us too hard. Petr’s whip was hand made. After, Jakub and Karl came over and gave us a whipping. They were brutal! I actually had welts on my legs. As much as I was curious and wanting to take pictures of this strange tradition, I won’t be too sad if I never have to experience it again!

DEFEATED! By Petr

Cruel and Unusual Punishment

The stick is almost taller than me!

Comments