Liberec and Ještěd

"Communist Coke"...This was the 'coke' that was produced by the communists. After the communist era they stopped producing it, however recently some company has begun making it. It is the most terrible tasting drink! My friend told me that it's an acquired taste. It was likea combo of really bad root beer and coke combined. I took a pole with my students and about 50% of them like it. I say, "no thank you!"

On Sunday a friend and I went to Liberec, which is a famous small town about 40km from Mlada Boleslav. It was nice to walk around, though it was a little cold and rainy. When we got to the square, I thought "what a nice town square". Then I realized how European I sounded! Europeans are all about the town squares, and that is the number one attraction in each town. However, this one was very pretty.

Ještěd Hotel and Restaurant is built on top of a mountain, and is supposed to have a beautiful view. However, when we went it was completely in the clouds. Even driving up the narrow road was a bit scary. At the top, we could barely see half of the tower and couldn't see any of the scenery. On a clear day you should be able to see Poland! The tower was built during the communist era and has hardly been renovated since then. It still looks very "communist" inside.



Comments