While booking my hostel in Bratislava I’d heard a lot of negative reviews about the city, so I decided to stay for just one day. However, I really enjoyed my time in Bratislava. On Saturday night I had dinner with 2 Austrians in the Old Town. Today, I took a bus to the Devin Castle and walked around town. The Old Town is quite small and there aren’t many big sites to see, but I like the small town feeling. There are lots of cafes and restaurants and the vibes I got were all really good. I also walked up to the …. Castle in town and had a nice view of the city. My favorite thing to do in a new city is to walk to the highest point and look out onto the city. So far my favorite view by far is at my park in Praha.







I arrived in Brno, which is in the east of the Czech Republic on Monday morning. My first impressions were not very good. I’ve been to many cities and not many give me bad vibes or make me feel uncomfortable. However, that's how I felt in Brno. I checked into my hostel, which was the most horrible thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe they charged $15 for it. A normal hostel for $15 is in a 6-8 person bunk-bed room, sometimes with an in-room shower, sometimes not. However, my bed was in a big old gymnasium, actually a cot with 19 other cots. I couldn’t believe it. I knew there was no way I’d be able to sleep there comfortably. I was already tired from not sleeping well the night before (guy in my room snoring). So, I went out in search of another hostel. The rooms in that one were better, but the area wasn’t very nice. I was not happy and there weren’t really any other choices. I decided that I would leave Brno that evening and go to Olomouc, which I was due to arrive in the following morning and stay with my student, Frank and his family. Frank and his wife were nice enough to save me a night early and I’m much happier and more comfortable now. Traveling is great, but it’s not all fun and games. Sometimes it feels like things are out of your control which totally sucks, especially when traveling alone.

Devin Castle
Danube River, which is flooded due to heavy rains
"Working Man"
"Paparazzi"
The UFO bridge
Brno, Czech Republic
I arrived in Brno, which is in the east of the Czech Republic on Monday morning. My first impressions were not very good. I’ve been to many cities and not many give me bad vibes or make me feel uncomfortable. However, that's how I felt in Brno. I checked into my hostel, which was the most horrible thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe they charged $15 for it. A normal hostel for $15 is in a 6-8 person bunk-bed room, sometimes with an in-room shower, sometimes not. However, my bed was in a big old gymnasium, actually a cot with 19 other cots. I couldn’t believe it. I knew there was no way I’d be able to sleep there comfortably. I was already tired from not sleeping well the night before (guy in my room snoring). So, I went out in search of another hostel. The rooms in that one were better, but the area wasn’t very nice. I was not happy and there weren’t really any other choices. I decided that I would leave Brno that evening and go to Olomouc, which I was due to arrive in the following morning and stay with my student, Frank and his family. Frank and his wife were nice enough to save me a night early and I’m much happier and more comfortable now. Traveling is great, but it’s not all fun and games. Sometimes it feels like things are out of your control which totally sucks, especially when traveling alone.
Comments