A person doesn't navigate Venice, Venice navigates a person

July 20, 2009
We arrived by airplane in Venice yesterday afternoon. At first glance, I’d have to say that Venice is even more beautiful than I imagined it. I’d heard lots of mixed reviews from students, but I love it here. People do not navigate Venice, Venice navigates the people. We bought a map, but only used it to figure out in what general direction to go. The streets are so short, and at many places you have no choice but which direction to walk. After we ended up going the opposite way than planned, Ian started to get frustrated. I was enjoying walking around and seeing everything, so I didn’t mind. At one point we finally found the grand canal, but there was no direct street to get to the bridge. We had to go in and out of streets, and somehow ended up at the main point of Venice, the Piazza San Marco. There were so many tourists! It was really beautiful to see the grand canal, ocean, and island La Giudecca. Mom really wanted us to take a trip on a gondola, because really, what trip isn’t complete without one! It seemed like it would be nice to do in the evening time. However, the price ranges from 75-120 euro for 50 minutes! That is so ridiculously crazy, I’d pay 50euro, but 75 for just Ian and I, no way!




Palazzo Ducale

Basilica di San Marco

St. Maria della Salute







Piazzo San Marco

The Grand Canal


The sky was beautiful and the background looked so fake

Ian in front of out hostel

Comments