Rome

July 22, 2009
Today we went south to Rome by “eurostar Italia”, which was a 4.5hr train ride. Our hostel in Rome is much nicer than the last, there are 5 of us in a room with an in-suite bath. There was free pizza for dinner and there’s a bar downstairs.
We walked around this afternoon with one of our roommates; in about 4 hours we walked 7 miles! We saw a lot the main attractions. One thing I remember about Rome from 4 years ago was how hot it was and how dirty I always felt. Well, the feeling is still there! Though, we have AC at this hostel, so I finally feel clean and refreshed after my shower- the first time in 5 days.
Our first afternoon we saw the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon and had great gelato. The next day we went with some people from our room to the Colosseum and Roman forum. We had to stand in the “short” line for about an hour to get the tickets, in the sun and it was about 95 degrees outside (35 C). On our last day we went to the Sistine Chapel and Vatican City. I love Vatican City, it’s one of my favorite places in Rome. But I was slightly disappointed by the Sistine Chapel. I expected it to be grand like St.Peter’s Basilica, but it was quite small and had so many paintings on the ceiling, that took away from the grandness of the most famous painting ……..

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

The Pantheon

Inside the Pantheon

I LOVE GELATO

The Colosseum





The Roman Forum

Arco di Constantino

St. Peter's Basilica

Vatican City

Comments