Monterey- Orientation and Week 1 of school

I'm officially a graduate student! It's so hard to believe. For those of you who don't know, I'm studying at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. I'm in a 2 year program for International Policy Studies, and my focus is International Development.
Last week was orientation, or "forced meeting people" as I prefer to say. But it was really good, I can't walk through campus (which is small) without seeing someone I know. Plus, I already have friends in a lot of classes. Most of my friends are studying 'teaching English to speakers of other languages'. I love the diversity of the school, 40% of the students are international.
I live just a few minutes from school with a Korean girl who is studying Translation & Interpretation. I'm loving Monterey, though it's cold and foggy in the morning, it has been warming up by the afternoon. There are so many small shops and cafes, and everything is walk-able.

FREE! Happy Hour at school
Joseph, Monica, Tetsuko, Satoko, & I

On Tuesdays there is a big farmers market where they close off Alvarado street. There is a ton of food, some venders, and fruits/veggies. There are always tons of MIIS (Monterey Institute of International Studies) students there.

Playing "red-neck golf"

Good thing I have a truck! The 3 of us tend to go overboard when we go shopping together

Saturday morning walk on the beach

Orientation- Tetsuko, Sky, me, Tessa, & Satoko

Adam, Tetsuko, me, & Rachel

There's an awesome farmer's market every Sunday. The food is all organic and so delicious!
We've even made friends with our "tomato man", whom we buy tomatoes from every week.

Mexican night- Matt, Sky, Tetsuko, & Satoko

Sky gets an 'A' for presentation

Sofia's 2nd Birthday- Taylor, Diane, me, and Jessica


Fisherman's Wharf

Comments