Getting to and from Santorini was quite an ordeal. I feel like we waited for airplanes and ferries longer than we actually spent in Greece. Our ferry to Santorini was 9 hour late, because it broke down in Crete. Once a ferry arrived at 10:30pm it was madness getting on and finding seats. People were sleeping in sleeping bags all over the place. Ian and I ended up getting seats in the lounge, though Ian slept on the floor. The girls slept outside on the covered deck. Because of the delay we lost out on half a day of sight seeing, so we only had about 1 day total there. We got picked up from the port, but our hotel wasn’t near anything. By then I was quite skeptical about how the rest of our time in Greece would be. We rented a car and drove to IA, the farthest town from where we were. That’s not saying much though, because the island is only 34 miles long. IA was amazing, probably one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to in my life. After IA we drove to FIRA and had dinner in a Cliffside restaurant and watched the sun set. I could have spent hours just walking around and sitting in cafes. I would go back to Santorini, but definitely not by ferry! In the morning we drove around to 2 beaches, which were totally unimpressive, before returning the car. I know other Greek islands are more famous for their beaches, but Santorini is famous for its Cliffside houses. We spend the rest of the day hanging out at the pool. We went to the port at 5:30, for our 7:45 ferry that didn’t end up coming until 11pm! Grrrr. The only good thing was that it was a 9 hour ferry and that meant that we didn’t get to the port at 4am like planned. By the time we got to the city center we only had a few hours before heading to the airport, so we hung out in a park like homeless people with all our bags J We got to the airport 2 hours ahead, and our flight ended up being 2 hours late. Apparently timeliness is not a very important thing to the Greeks!
The crazy packed ferry
You'd think there were more than 5 of us, eh!
Early morning on the ferry
First stop, IA
Looks just like the post cards!
FIRA, where we had dinner
I'd bought the post card first, and as we were having dinner, we realized that the scenery was oddly familiar
Comments