Laura and I took a 3.5hr bus ride down to Hoi An for 2 days- round trip $4- score! From the drop off point, we walked to our hotel. It was around 12:30, so Hoi An was a ghost town, just like in Hue, everyone is sleeping from 11-2. I was a little unhappy having to pay so much for the hotel, but it looked nice in the pictures, and had a pool. By expensive, I mean $25 a night, $12.50 each- hey, that’s about 4 days worth of eating! We also got free breakfast and free use of bicycles. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was in fact as nice as the picture on the internet showed it to be. BONUS: No Ghosts! (I’ll save the ghost stories for another post). Our room was big, the beds AMAZING, and the bathroom huge, with an actual bathtub. I’d forgotten what it was like not to take a shower next to the toilet with cold water. I wish we’d had more time, because I would have laid around in the comfy bed, with fluffy pillows and a fluffy comforter all day! Anyway, seeing as it was naptime in Hoi An, we decided to sit by the pool for a bit. The water was amazing, warmer than my daily showers!
Around 3 we hopped on our bikes and headed to the old town. First we looked for some lunch, we walked into a few places and I about had a heart attack at the prices. $10 for a meal, are you kidding me?! Ridiculous! So, we biked further along until we found the street food (I. love. Street. Food!) The specialty is called “cao lao”, which we found. I asked how much (in Vietnamese, because that’s about all I can say) and the lady told us 20,000=$1 –score! I was quite shocked that this woman wasn’t trying to take us for all we were worth. Cau Lao is noodles with fried wonton, bean sprouts, herbs, and pork slices, with some sauce. It was delicious!
Hoi An is famous for it’s tailoring, quick turnover and great prices. I didn’t plan on going shopping, but some shops had caught our eye, so we headed over to check them out. Basically, the tailors all have sample dresses, pants, coats, shirts (you name it) on display, and tons of fabric, so you can choose the fabric you want. I pointed out a shirt that I liked, and the lady quickly shooed me to the back and made me strip and try on the shirt. It was hilarious and a great experience, changing in and out of clothes with another girl who I’d never met. No shame in Hoi An! We got completely sucked in, 2 tops, 2 pants, 1 short dress, 1 long dress, & 1 dressy dress later… That was not the plan! But, I’m short and it’s hard to find things to fit me well, and I’d gotten to choose the fabric and everything so… We were told to come back at 10am the next morning to try everything on.
After the un-planned shopping spree, we rode the 4 miles to the less than impressive (I know, I’m spoiled) beach. After the beach we treated ourselves to Indian and went to a spa. In the evening we walked around the historical area- the only quiet place I’ve been in Vietnam. The area is blocked off to motorbikes and traffic- hallelujah! It was so pretty, all lit up with lanterns and lights. It actually wasn’t that busy with tourists either.
Sunday morning we went to try on our clothes. I must say, I was impressed! Who knows how long the fabric will last, but the sewing skills are amazing. Everything fit perfectly! Dilemma- I just can’t get fatter, or nothing will fit.
Randomness- I’d been talking about getting a hammock for my place in Monterey, and I knew I could get one for cheap in Vietnam. Ai said she’d paid around $5-10 for hers. Out of nowhere, Laura and I hear, “hammock! Do you want a hammock?” Well, actually, I do! But, how much is it? We bargained and got 2 for $15, not bad! The guy told us that he made them himself. With all of our bags in tow, we headed back to Hue.
Ninh Binh was amazing for it’s nature, but as far as towns & cities go, Hoi An is definitely my favorite place in Vietnam.
Comments