July 9

I woke up this morning feeling a bit better, though still not 100%. We had our last few hours of orientation, then set out on a bit of sight seeing. We opted for the “touristy” experience and hired a tuk-tuk for $3 to the West Lake (a huge lake) where most of the expensive hotels, like the Sheraton are. Laura and I were sharing on tuk-tuk, and our driver, a 20 something year old guy was our diver. He was pleasant enough, for a while… then I noticed his hand resting on my shoulder, fair enough, I mean, maybe it was more comfortable (?), I glanced at Laura and didn't notice anything. I guess because I didn’t react in anyway, he felt that it would be okay to give me a slight shoulder massage. Really!? It was quite awkward and I was not down with that (did he expect an extra tip or something?). I later noticed that he did, in fact have his hand on Laura’s shoulder as well. That did make me feel better (at least I wasn’t the only one!) At that point, I was really wishing that Laura spoke Japanese, so we could discuss the situation. Luckily it didn’t go any further than that. Beware next tuk-tuk driver who tries to touch my shoulder, I will slap your hand away!

West Lake was huge! We walked for quite a while, in the heat (about 100degrees) at 12:30pm (not so smart of us to walk around at that time). It took us forever to find a café to relax in- 2 hours of walking. We finally arrived at one (all hot and sweaty) only to find out there was a power outage in the area (just great!) So, we opted to go down the street to a local joint to eat. If we were going to be hot and sweaty anyway, we might as well pay $1 for our meal! By the time we made it back to French bakery the power was back on. I loved this bakery, it was just my style, and at a good price.



Comments