My interpretation of Vietnamese “honking”

At first I was completely baffled by all the honking (seemingly for no reason) in Vietnam. It wasn’t until riding around Ninh Binh, and then Hue that I think I finally understand… The most confusing part is that people honk even when no one is around. I think that is to warn people who might be coming around the corner, or coming into the area. Also, there really aren’t any “lanes” in Vietnam. I mean, there are like 2, but seeing as 90% of vehicles are motorbikes, lanes really don't mean anything. So, that honking- by cars and motorbikes is to warn the people in front that they are coming up from behind (and not to get in their way). It really is organized madness. I wish I could video tape and ride my bicycle at the same time… I might get the skills to do it by the end of my time here- it really is something else.

Comments