A relaxing Saturday

Laura and I went over to one of our student’s house today to eat and hang out. We got completely spoiled with delicious home cooked food.

This was my first time to a Vietnamese home, and although I’m not sure what I was expecting, quite a few things surprised me. Mostly, in comparison to American households, how much “stuff” Americans have, mostly crap that’s completely unnecessary. Vietnamese houses are bare by comparison. There was a TV, a table and a few chairs, and a wardrobe. No beds, they sleep on the floor on bamboo type mats, with pillows and blankets. This is probably a middleclass household. I was really surprised to hear that they didn't have running water or electricity until 2000! That also means no hot water for showering, and no flushing toilet for that matter. The other student said her family didn’t have those things until about 5 years ago. In the “kitchen” I could see an area where her mother used to cook using wood- even now, her mother cooks with wood instead of the gas stove. Our other student said her family doesn’t use a gas stove. The house is very airy and open, there are no screens on the houses in Vietnam. Most of my students don’t have washing machines, and do all their laundry by hand. The next time I hear someone complain about having to do laundry, I might explode on them (just a warning!).

It was a very relaxing day, and humbling experience. Most Vietnamese have very little “things” and yet live very happy and content lives. We saw the 5 year old nephews playing all day outside and keeping themselves very entertained, without a toy in sight- something American kids probably couldn’t do for an hour. Without the TV on or any music playing, we sat on the floor, talked and enjoyed each others company- priceless

I also asked the girls about University tuition, and if it’s “expensive”, both girls were quick to answer “yes”. Both of them are the only ones in their family to attend University, and one comes from a lower income background, so it’s difficult for her family to come up with the 1.5million dong per semester.

1.5million dong = $75…

I took that amount out of the bank today, hoping to make it last through the next week as I buy some gifts for my family and pay for transportation to Saigon. That thought makes me want to cry. These girls have to study so hard and convince their families to let them attend University, all for $75 a semester, which is still a large amount of money. Keep in mind, the average per capita GDP in Vietnam is less than $4,000 per year, and many families make only several dollars per day…..


Nap time! In the summer they sleep on these wooden mats, because it's so hot.

A typical "country" style kitchen- to the right is where they cook using firewood

Me pretending to do dishes


Comments