Part 5: Give me MY money!

I'm not even sure where to start for this entry. As many of you know, I spent the past two years studying International Development. A big reason for my going to Africa was to see development in action, and to have a better grasp on how development works. I wanted to see with my own eyes, everything I'd been reading for 2 years.

As far as poverty levels and malnutrition in children, I wasn't really surprised. Everything was pretty much as I'd expected (on the outer layer). But, after just 2 weeks in Malawi, I felt as though my "development philosophy" had gone down the drain.
My development philosophy is something I created in grad school. My "answer" to problems in the developing world is primary education. I guess in large part that is because Malawi is not "develop-ing" it's largely undeveloped and going nowhere fast. In rural villages, I can hardly see the point of a high school education. Few students will actually earn a certificate. And even for those who do, there are no jobs and practically no chance they will be able to get a university degree.

I had many talks with people about why this is and what could be done about it. It's a really hard thing to even try to answer! For so many generations, these people have been getting handouts. Result, children constantly saying "give me MY ......." They expect that because we are white, we will give them things. That really sucks, because in the case that we would like to reward children for things, it's really debatable whether you should or shouldn't give them anything.
Based on my own observations and discussions, I came up with my own list of Malawi's biggest issues:
- 40% of the government's budget is AID! (And right now, a lot of it is being taken away).
- Corruption- just slip a bit of money and you'll get what you want!
-Little desire to work. Why work when you can just beg and rely on aid? It seems that many men have little desire to work, even when given the opportunity. great, just great! That's when we call them the hardest working, laziest people.
-Lack of infrastructure. No power or running water in most of the country. The main road running down the country isn't even 100% paved. Most other roads aren't paved. Makes it really difficult to transport materials, food, etc.
-Lack of accountability. In these small villages, there is almost no accountability. At Britt's school, teachers live 50yards from the school, yet often don't bother to show up to teach classes. Why bother, they'll be getting paid regardless.
-Lack of resources. They literally have NOTHING. Everything is recycled and re-used. At school, there is maybe 1 book per 5+ students. Deforestation- they know it's bad, but there aren't any other options. There is no electricity to cook on, so they have to use wood. And this wood comes from forests. It's a matter of starvation. As my professor always said, A change is knowledge doesn't ensure a change in behavior!
-Lack of initiative. Why do it if I'm not getting paid or somehow rewarded? Someone else will do it. Example: At Britt's school, the purchased several fruit trees. Well, there are always animals roaming (and goats eat EVERYTHING) so, certain precautions need to be taken to make sure the trees survive their first year of life. After just a month, the trees are dead- eaten by the animals. When asked what happened, the response, in a very matter of fact way, is "Lack of maintenance." YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN THINGS TO KEEP THEM FROM FALLING DOWN! Somehow, they just don't get it...

In the end, I have no answers, or really, any suggestions. The thing I gained most from this experiences is that I now know I don't want to work in such an underdeveloped country. I feel that a country needs to have a certain amount of development before any job I do can have an impact. Making projects sustainable after the white man leaves is incredibly difficult. So, there you have it! My rant on development. I'm so thankful I was able to experience development in all it's glory and frustrations.

"Flies in the eyes"
(and nose, and mouth, and hands....)
This is the best picture I got, and it sure is a good one. We talk about "flies in the eyes" kids all the times. It was really moves people to donate money to charities doing development work.
Taken in Lalibela, Ethiopia

Comments