Today I reached my goal of visiting 30 countries by age 30-
17 months early!

Flight time here was approximately 24hrs from Hawaii. I arrived at one in the afternoon and took a taxi from the airport into the city. It took about an hour and went over and through mountains around tons of curves and down into the valley.
The hostel is really nice (with several hammocks that are calling my name), but it's fairly empty. I really wanted a nap but I forced myself to take a walk instead, so that I could orient myself with the city. I felt totally fine and safe walking around alone, and no one bothered me. I wandered to the city center and found some shopping areas. There are regular stores, upper class shops and still yet, the people selling fruit and other random items on the streets. It's the perfect mix. In the bright and shiny mall, I found a coffee counter and listened to live music.

I think my biggest challenge will be that I look like I should be fluent in Spanish, but I'm not. Already though, I'm getting used to hearing it and getting faster at comprehension. I just need to get more comfortable speaking and to get all the Japanese out of my head.





There are a bunch of restaurants in the area around the hostel, some quite expensive, but a few budget places. There's a lot of "fast food" fried chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, and French fries. Totally not my thing! I was able to find a good local place, and I had frijoles, rice, salad, and some meet. I think that the street food seemed more appetizing than the the restaurants. I think I'll have to have heavy lunches and then lighter dinners. I'm looking forward to going to the bakery each morning for breakfast!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
17 months early!
Flight time here was approximately 24hrs from Hawaii. I arrived at one in the afternoon and took a taxi from the airport into the city. It took about an hour and went over and through mountains around tons of curves and down into the valley.
The hostel is really nice (with several hammocks that are calling my name), but it's fairly empty. I really wanted a nap but I forced myself to take a walk instead, so that I could orient myself with the city. I felt totally fine and safe walking around alone, and no one bothered me. I wandered to the city center and found some shopping areas. There are regular stores, upper class shops and still yet, the people selling fruit and other random items on the streets. It's the perfect mix. In the bright and shiny mall, I found a coffee counter and listened to live music.
I think my biggest challenge will be that I look like I should be fluent in Spanish, but I'm not. Already though, I'm getting used to hearing it and getting faster at comprehension. I just need to get more comfortable speaking and to get all the Japanese out of my head.
There are a bunch of restaurants in the area around the hostel, some quite expensive, but a few budget places. There's a lot of "fast food" fried chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, and French fries. Totally not my thing! I was able to find a good local place, and I had frijoles, rice, salad, and some meet. I think that the street food seemed more appetizing than the the restaurants. I think I'll have to have heavy lunches and then lighter dinners. I'm looking forward to going to the bakery each morning for breakfast!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Medellin, Colombia
Comments