Medellin, June 5, 2012
Today I decided to venture out around the city some more on my own. There are 2 cable cars that go up the mountain in different areas of the city. I found out that they are part of the Medellin metro system, so as long as I stayed within the station, I could go all over the city, only spending $1! Anywhere else, you'd be paying $10+ to take a cable car. The first metro cable I took went over the straight up slums- the part of town that you are likely to be killed walking through. It was so nice to see from up above, safe in the car! At the top of the mountain there were really nice, new apartments. There is a lot of money flying around in Medellin, so the government is essentially buying up the slums, kicking people out, tearing them down and rebuilding nice apartments. The best part is that when the poor people move back in, they still aren't paying much for rent. What a novel idea! Too bad there aren't many places in the world that this could take place so easily.












The second metro-cable was up north in the nicer part of town. At the top there is another cable car that you can take up into a national park. I didn't understand what the place was or how much it cost (nor do I know how to ask those questions in Spanish!), so I just rode the car back down. When we were almost back to the station, the cable stopped and we were dangling (and swinging be because of the wind) in mid air for about 15 minutes! I was very glad that we weren't any higher up.



Just hanging out....


I then took the metro to El Poblado and walked up the very long hill until I reached a cafe that I'd seen a few days before. It was a perfect place to relax and catch up on days of journaling.












This is a pretty good deal!

Location:Medellin Part Dos

Comments