Cartagena June 7, 2012
Cartagena is about a 15+ hour bus ride from Medellin. Although I'd met plenty of solo female travelers who said traveling alone by bus was safe, I was still pretty nervous about the trip. Lucky for me, a new low cost airline had recently opened up and I was able to buy a cheaper round trip airfare than the bus. The flight was only about 30 minutes (vs 15 hrs- score!). I felt like I was on a bus, however. My huge backpack was between my legs and many passengers had their suitcases on them as well. So different than all the rules on US airlines! People chatted away, and I made friends with a Colombian lady, my age sitting next to me. I got a taxi from the airport for about $5, to a recommended hostel right in the old city.
At first I wasn't too thrilled with the hostel. There were tons of guests and no real personal attention (I got spoiled in Medellin). I later checked out 2 other hostels and realized that I had the best in the area. Best part was the AC- it was about 100 degrees outside during the day. I splurged for a 6 person female dorm (nice and spacious) which was about $15/ night. There were 3 other girls the first night, so we all went to a good Italian place for dinner and then hit the hay pretty early.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Cartagena is about a 15+ hour bus ride from Medellin. Although I'd met plenty of solo female travelers who said traveling alone by bus was safe, I was still pretty nervous about the trip. Lucky for me, a new low cost airline had recently opened up and I was able to buy a cheaper round trip airfare than the bus. The flight was only about 30 minutes (vs 15 hrs- score!). I felt like I was on a bus, however. My huge backpack was between my legs and many passengers had their suitcases on them as well. So different than all the rules on US airlines! People chatted away, and I made friends with a Colombian lady, my age sitting next to me. I got a taxi from the airport for about $5, to a recommended hostel right in the old city.
At first I wasn't too thrilled with the hostel. There were tons of guests and no real personal attention (I got spoiled in Medellin). I later checked out 2 other hostels and realized that I had the best in the area. Best part was the AC- it was about 100 degrees outside during the day. I splurged for a 6 person female dorm (nice and spacious) which was about $15/ night. There were 3 other girls the first night, so we all went to a good Italian place for dinner and then hit the hay pretty early.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Cartagena
Comments