I had planned to go snow boarding on Sunday, wanting to add another awesome location to my snow boarding list. Ultimately, I decided it would be too much of a hassle to go up and back for just one day.
We stayed in the hotel watching the Olympics until mid morning- I enjoyed listening to all the Japanese commentary for the different sports. I have to say, I'm amazed at how much I can still understand on the news and tv, especially seeing as I rarely watched tv when I lived here. All that high level vocabulary I learned for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test must still be somewhere in my brain...
We walked about 5 blocks south of our hotel, past Odori park to the Susukino area, which apparently has the largest number of restaurants and entertainment places north of Tokyo. First we got donuts at Mister Donut and warmed up a bit. The Susukino Ice sculpture site is only a few short blocks, but it was still very cool. These were different than Odori park, as they were only about 6-7 feet all and carved out of blocks of ice.
After our warm drinks and mochi ice cream, we took a bus over to the Sapporo Beer Museum. I was hoping for a factory tour, but we just got to see the museum (which was still cool). It was self-paced with a guide written in English. At the end they had beer on tap. I chose to get the sample of 3 for 500 yen ($5). I hardly drink beer anymore, even though I do love Japanese beer, so 2 glasses was more than enough.
In the evening we had soba for dinner, watched the Olympics and packed for our early flight to Tokyo.
We stayed in the hotel watching the Olympics until mid morning- I enjoyed listening to all the Japanese commentary for the different sports. I have to say, I'm amazed at how much I can still understand on the news and tv, especially seeing as I rarely watched tv when I lived here. All that high level vocabulary I learned for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test must still be somewhere in my brain...
We walked about 5 blocks south of our hotel, past Odori park to the Susukino area, which apparently has the largest number of restaurants and entertainment places north of Tokyo. First we got donuts at Mister Donut and warmed up a bit. The Susukino Ice sculpture site is only a few short blocks, but it was still very cool. These were different than Odori park, as they were only about 6-7 feet all and carved out of blocks of ice.
Walking back, I saw a Mos Burger and we decided to get lunch. I remember it being a big deal when Mos Burger opened in Okayama. The burgers have some kind of tomato-meat sauce on them that makes them delicious. While walking around I saw a Tokyu Hands store, which has lots of fun stationary- of course we had to go there to warm up! They also had lots of fun valentines candy. I thought I was going to escape Valentine's Day here, but it's quite the opposite. Apparently the holiday has really grown in popularity because ever store has valentine related things. In Japan, the females make/ give chocolate on February 14th and then the men reciprocate on March 14th.
On the way back to the hotel we stopped for some hot milk tea and Cocoa the 7-eleven and also got mochi ice cream- crazy, I know, but it was so delicious!
In the evening we had soba for dinner, watched the Olympics and packed for our early flight to Tokyo.
Comments