Osaka 大阪
March 2, 2015- I knew I would be arriving at Kansai International Airport (KIX) around 7 pm and it would be really late by the time I got to Okayama, so I made arrangements to stay with a friend in the Osaka area.After getting my luggage and through customs (which is always easy) I went to the Softbank Kiosk and picked up the keitai (cell phone) that I'd pre-rented online. I'm really glad I decided to rent the keitai, because I was meeting up with a lot of different people and wi-fi really isn't very accessible (yet!) around Japan. At only $2 per day, it was really worth it. I paid 10 cents per text to send (receiving is free). All in all, I think my bill ended up being $20. If you want to get an iPhone that's more expensive. I knew I just needed the barebones, so that's what I got. Here's the link to Softbank phone rental: http://www.softbank-rental.jp/e/rental.php
I then went to pick up my Japan Rail Pass at the train station that's attached to the airport (Japan makes it so convenient and easy!). I ordered my Rail Pass as soon as I bought my ticket because the "ticket" had to be mailed. You cannot buy a Rail Pass in Japan! It must be purchased out of the country. For me, it was a no-brainer. I paid $236 for 7 days. A train to and from Okayama alone would have been like $160. Since I knew I would have free transportation around Japan, I made plans to take advantage of it. Here's the link to find out more about the Japan Rail Pass: http://www.japan-rail-pass.com
I had forgotten how long the train out of the airport and to Osaka was- about 40 minutes. I met Traci at Osaka station and she took me to her apartment. Traci and I go way back, to high school and even ice skating in Hawaii! Her boyfriend made us curry rice for dinner and I had my first Japanese beer in ages. It was like 5am Hawaii time by the time I went to sleep, but with the help of Tylenol PM and sheer exhaustion, I had a great night sleep.
![]() |
Before getting on the train I grabbed my favorite Royal Milk Tea.
Since it is still winter, they are served warm!
|


Comments